Death Overseas – Process

What to do
when someone dies abroad: a step by step guide

travelling please ensure you have travel insurance.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un

When someone dies overseas, it is important that you get
assistance from your local community, if possible, who can help to deal with an
unfamiliar system far from home. However, you can also get help from the
British authorities who can assist you with advice and support.

Please contact your insurance company immediately, who
will also be able to provide valuable assistance

Below is a step by step guide for British Citizens who have
died overseas:

Step 1: Register
the death

If someone dies overseas, you must register the death with the local
authorities in the country where the person died and obtain a Death
Certificate. However, in the UK, it is required to register the death
within 5 days (8 days in Scotland) – this includes weekends and bank holidays.

The local community and/or the British Consul should be able to
advise you on where and how to do this. When registering the death in person,
you should take information about yourself and the person who has died

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • British Passport number
  • Where and when the passport was issued
  • Details of the next-of-kin, if you’re
    not their closest relative.

You’ll get a ‘certificate for
a burial’
which is required before the funeral can take place. It is
critical that the Death Certificate has a clearly stated cause of death.

In many countries you can also register the death with the UK
. You don’t have to do this, but if you do you can obtain
a UK-style death certificate, and the record will be sent to the General
Register Office within 12 months. You will also be able to get a copy of the
Death Certificate later from the General Register Office or from the British
Consul in the country concerned. More information on registering the death can
be found here.

Step 2
Bringing the body home

If you wish to bring the body back to the UK, British
Consular staff
in the local country should be able to help by
putting you in touch with an international funeral director.

The body will need to be embalmed and placed in a zinc-lined
coffin before it can be removed from the country. It may take some time to
bring the body home, especially if a post-mortem examination is held.

Before you can bring the body home, you’ll need the
following documents:

  • a certified English
    translation of the foreign death certificate from the country in which the
    person died
  • authorisation to remove the
    deceased’s body from the country
  • a certificate of embalming
  • get permission to remove
    the body, issued by a coroner (or equivalent) in the country where the person
  • tell a coroner in England
    if the death was violent or unnatural

Ask for advice from the local community organisations, the British
consulate, embassy or high commission
in the country where the
person died.

These rules apply to England and Wales. There are different
processes for Scotland and Northern
. There are also different rules for cremation
and bringing the ashes home

Step 3:
Arrange the funeral and funeral costs

The funeral can usually only take place after the death is

Once the body is home, if a foreign Death Certificate has
been obtained, take the death certificate to the register office in
the area where the funeral is taking place. As the death has already been
registered abroad, the registrar will give you a ‘certificate of no liability
to register’ (White Certificate). Give this to the funeral director so the
funeral can go ahead.

Review the travel insurance of the deceased as funeral costs
may be covered and contact the insurance company as soon as possible. They’ll
be able to assist you to make the necessary funeral arrangements. If the
deceased’s funeral costs are not covered by insurance, you’ll be expected to
pay all the costs including hospital bills and repatriation (bringing home) of
the body and belongings.

If you’re arranging the funeral yourself, give the
certificate back to the registrar after the funeral has taken place. You must
do this within 96 hours of the funeral.

A coroner will usually hold an inquest in England or Wales
if the cause of death is unknown or if it was sudden, violent or unnatural.

Step 4: Tell
the UK government about the death

The Tell Us Once service allows you to inform all the
relevant government departments when someone dies.

  • Use the Tell
    Us Once
    service to tell all government
  • If Tell
    Us Once
    is not available in your area, you will need to tell relevant
    government organisations yourself

Before you use Tell Us Once, you will need details of the
person who died. These can be found here

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to
most government organisations in one go. However, the registrar when you register
the death

  • let you know if the service
    is available in your area
  • give you the phone number
  • give you a unique reference
    number to use the Tell Us
    Once service online
    or by phone

You’ll also need to inform the banks, utility companies and landlords yourself.

Step 5: Bereavement
benefits & dealing with your own benefits, pension and taxes

Depending on your relationship with the deceased, you might
be eligible for financial help. Check if you can get:

Your tax, benefit claims and pension might change depending
on your relationship with the person who died.

Deal with their estate

You might have to deal with the will, money and property of
the person who has died if you’re a close friend or relative, or the executor
of the will.

Coping with a
death abroad

After the death of a relative or friend abroad you are
likely to have countless questions. What should I do now? How can I communicate
with people in a foreign language? Who can I turn to for help? The British
Foreign and Commonwealth office has two guidance documents:

More information can be found here.

Right to
live in the UK

You will need to check if you need to apply to stay in the
UK. If your right to live in the UK depends on your relationship with someone
who died, you might need to apply for a new visa. Check the rules if:

  • you’re in the UK as the
    partner of a British Citizen or someone with indefinite leave to remain
  • your partner who died
    served as a member of HM Forces

You will need to contact UK Visa and
to check the rules for other visas

(Guide by the
UK Gov, applicable on 25th May 2019 for British Citizens living in
England and Wales. There are different processes for Scotland and Northern
Ireland.) This document will review regular review to ensure information is valid.