FCP Quiz Answers 21/5/2010In: Stanmore Jaffery - Literary
Friday Community Progrqm 1431.
Lecture 1: Companions of the Holy Prophet (SAW): Ammar bin Yassir (RA)
Syed Ammar Nakhshawani. 21/5/2010
1. Ammar-e- Yassir was thought to be the X person to accept Islam. What number is X?
2. What was the name of the group which was formed at the house of Abdallah during Ammar-e-Yasir’s youth which aimed to eradicate oppression and tyranny in Makkah? (Bonus if both Arabic and English names are given)
“Hilful-Fudhool” – League of Justice
3. Whilst building the mosque in Medina, The Prophet declared a prophecy regarding Ammar-e-Yassir’s death. What was this Prophecy?
That Ammar bin Yassir will be killed by a rebellious group.
Bonus mark if they also mention that his last drink would be milk.
4. Who were the first two Martyrs of Islam?
Yassir and Summayya.
Bonus mark if they mention that they were Ammar e Yassir’s parents.
5. What verse of the Holy Quran refers to and confirms the legitimacy of Taqiyyah?
6. Who were the 5 staunchest companions of Imam Ali (AS) who after Saqifa shaved their heads in his obedience ready to fight with him to secure his legitimitate right?
1. Ammar-e-Yassir, 2. Miqdad, 3. Hudhaifa-Al-Yamani, 4. Salmaan-e-Muhammadi (or Farsi) and 5. Abu Dhar al Ghifari.
7. In which battle did Ammar-e-Yasir lose his ear when defending the cause of Islam?
The battle of Yammama
8. In which battle was Ammar-e-Yasir martyred and what age did he die?
The battle of Siffin. He was in his nineties (Accept any figure in nineties)
9. How did the enemy who killed Ammar justify their killing when questioned about the Holy Prophets (SAW) prophecy regarding the killing of Ammar? How was this justification rebuked by Imam Ali’s (AS) side?
The enemy (Muawiyah) in order to try and avoid the label of the one who killed Ammar justified his act by claiming that Imam Ali (AS) had actually killed Ammar because he brought him to the battlefield. This pathetic excuse was easily rebuked by mentioning that this is like saying that The Holy Prophet (SAW) had killed Hamza (RA) because he brought him to the battlefield-which is obviously not the case. Hence, the true killer of Ammar was truly exposed.
10. Certain people question Ammar-e-Yassir’s allegiance to Imam Ali (AS) because of two incidents that took place during the reign of the first two Khulafa. What were these two incidents and how can you show that Ammar-e-Yassir despite his participation in these incidents never even for one moment ever compromised on his allegiance to Imam Ali (AS) as the rightful leader of the all the Muslims?
(Below is outline answer, the more info on mentions of the below text-the more marks awarded)
These two incidents were his participation in the battle of Yammama and his acceptance to become the Governor of Kufa under the reign of Ummar.
As for the former, Ammar was instructed by Imam Ali (AS) to participate in this battle in order to save Islam, as if Musaylima has got his way then Islam would have been under great threat-thus Ammar was acting on the instructions of his leader Imam Ali (AS) and in the interest of Islam alone and not on behalf of any pseudo Khulafa.
As for the latter, Ammar took up the post as governor of Kufa and he never gave the Friday Khutba despite its necessity as he would then have been regarded as the representative of the second caliph, rather he only ever recited surah yaseen and started the Juma Prayer. Thus he distanced himself from the second caliph via this public act.
Furthermore, but he never acknowledged the second caliph as Amir-al-Mu’mineen-in fact he openly declared that the only Amir-al-mu’mineen is Imam Ali (AS).